Monday, October 25, 2010

Proverbs 11:25b

Since moving to Hawaii I have had a few VERY encouraging encounters with various individuals. Sometimes it was just a nice word or a question, but a couple of times I have found myself refreshed in creative ways. 


A few weeks ago I was hired to help coach a youth basketball camp. I was assigned the six and under group, which was probably divine intervention being that my basketball skills barely exceed a six year old. It was incredibly entertaining to observe the little kids attempt to dribble basketballs larger than their heads and to pass using every bit of strength they possess. 


As much as I enjoyed the job and making a little money to buy groceries, one camper was the highlight of my week. 


Of the 22 kids attending the camp, there was only one girl. Her name is Kelsey and she is six. I instantly adored her simply for being brave enough to play with so many boys, but she was very shy and a challenge to bond with. During lunch on the first day of camp I asked her what she likes to eat. She told me spaghetti, but "only a certain kind". After momentarily pondering how this six year old has obtained a high maintenance pallet for this seemingly simple pasta dish, I asked her what she meant. Her eyes instantly lit up and she exclaimed "ONLY from Zippy's". 


Zippy's is a local fast food restaurant that I have often made fun of because their menu includes every food known to man, including spam. So needless-to-say her response gave me a huge smile. From the Zippy's conversation on she was my little shadow, for better or worse:) 


On the last day of camp Kelsey ran up to me, gave me a hug, and handed me an envelope. Later I opened the card and couldn't help but feel incredibly refreshed by how cute it was. 




I found the verse on the card to be a perfect fit: "...those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed" Proverbs 11:25b


Did I mention that the note had a gift certificate included?? Zippy's... $5... can't beat that.


Camp is over and I doubt I'll ever see Kelsey again, but her little note stays on my refrigerator door to remind me that even when it doesn't seem like it, the little things matter:)

2 comments:

  1. Now let's go get some Zippy's spaghetti!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kates, what's with throw pillows and your family. You probably have already heard this story but in case you haven't ... before your parents left for Tennesse to watch Jordan play hockey, they asked him if there was anything he would like them to bring him ... thinking cookies ... no, Jordan, a child of Cindy Ricks, requests throw pillows so he has a place to lay his head when he lies on the couch and watches tv. Then i read you are waiting for throw pillows from your mom as well. I've obviously missed the boat on throw pillows. Your parents and Nate sounded like they had a wonderful time. Golf, shopping, reading, hockey, hanging with each other ... Bruce and i went to the Mizzou / Oklahoma game last weekend - unbelievable experience - ESPN Gameday was on campus, we threw a tailgate party for Samantha's friends, and the game that night was beyond phenominal with Mizzou knocking off #1 Oklahoma. Next up is Nebraska. Your dad told me a little about your maui trip. Maui was my favorite part of my visit to Hawaii - such amazing beauty but also a road that leads to carsickness or as more commonly known as Hana? You and Richard seem amazingly compatible with so many shared interests. I was just thinking about you and decided to catch up on your blog. I will be praying you will find a job in God's timing and way. Take care, Katie.

    ReplyDelete