I know, I know... some thought the day would never come. After all, I am the girl who can eat the same ten-or-so foods all the time and not even sort of care. I'm all about convenience and saving money. Bananas and peanut butter are cheap... so yeah.
I'm still a banana and peanut butter type of girl, but on occasion I'll try some new foods with Richard. We like to say my "pallet has expanded".
The new thing this weekend was eating at a restaurant called Shabu Shabu.
What type of food do they serve??
Shabu Shabu. That's what it's actually called. Ha, go figure.
This is a Japanese style of cooking:
The dish is prepared by submerging a very thin slice of meat or a piece of vegetable in a pot of boiling water or dashi (broth) made with kombu (kelp) and swishing it back and forth several times. The familiar swishing sound is where the dish gets its name. Shabu-shabu directly translates to "swish-swish". Cooked meat and vegetables are usually dipped inponzu or "goma" (sesame seed) sauce before eating, and served with a bowl of steamed white rice.
Yum. It was delicious.
![]() |
| LOVE all the fresh veggies:) |
| Yes, my chopstick skills have improved... thanks for noticing! |
![]() |
| Dips to spice it all up. My favorite was the very top one in the square bowl. No clue what it's called, but it was delicious. |
| Enthusiasm has not been altered for photo. |
So that's Shabu Shabu. Try it out if you get a chance!


So delicious and fun!
ReplyDeleteHooray for silly Asian food!!
:)
Nice work with the chopsticks!! i AM impressed :)
ReplyDelete