Saturday, May 14, 2011

Props to the other Kate.... there is NO way I could handle that

Kate Meddleton, now a "princess". Gotta admit--she seems pretty cool compared to the other famous people around. I'm not one to really be into the whole celebrity life obsession thing, but the Royal Wedding news is EVERYWHERE.

Okay, okay... maybe I did purchase the People Magazine 'Collector's Edition' this past week to read all about the couple's big day. That's what happens when my boyfriend goes out-of-town and I'm left to entertain myself for an entire week, (what.. girly movies, glasses of wine, facial masks, sleeping in, shopping too much?? Yes... and buying stupid magazines).

Back to my point. After reading the articles that included more information that anyone really needs... I have come to one firm conclusion: absolutely no way, in a million years, for all the money in the world, would I ever, ever, EVER want to be in the spot Kate Middleton was and is in right now.

Yeah I'm not blind. Handsome prince (he is balding though.. just saying), admiration and support of millions, royal lifestyle with every luxury imaginable, a dream wedding that no guest would miss and no one else could probably afford... it's all pretty ridiculous/fairy tale-like.

Fairy tale for sure... but the little girl (in the bottom left) better describes my feelings about such an event.
I have no doubt that this idea is probably just about every girl's dream.

Not this girl though.

I would be so incredibly miserable.

Not from all the amazing opportunities or getting to meet all sorts of fascinating people... that would be fun. I would even enjoy all the traveling and volunteering in impoverished countries (though I'm pretty sure famous people just pose for a minute with a malnourished child and call it a day... but maybe not). That, all of that, sounds pretty unforgettable.

But... what about the constant feeling of being watched???

I. Would. Go. Nuts.

I mean, I don't even like that very rare feeling of being watched as a pastor's daughter that probably doesn't even really exist... (especially when I show up to church late, with coffee, and sit in the back... crap, I do fit the stereotype). I have never liked that "watched" feeling.

I love people's one-on-one attention... that I could have all the time. I love the real conversations and learning about others. I also enjoy (though not as often) group settings with fun people. But this would be only people I am really comfortable around--or when I at least having one person present that I am comfortable around. This is just the way I'm wired. I could have just one friend to be my buddy, and that'd be plenty:)

Having a whole world watch me as I wave and smile non stop, try not to wipe out on my ass or say something stupid, and strive to look fairly good at all times??... nope.

That sounds completely awful to me. Talk about pressure!

Please note the perfect wave and smile. Explains why I would also hate being in beauty pageants. 
I can imagine exactly how this would go for me...

If I were to be a princess in the spotlight, I would frequently have facial expressions that don't match what's going on around me, feel completely scatter-brained as my ADD mind takes in every visual and audible stimulus within a half mile, and more-often-than-not say something sarcastic to the worst person possible.

The royal lifestyle doesn't seem conducive to my brain, personality, or sense of humor whatsoever. I would end up internalizing every smart ass thought I have... which would result in awkward laughter at inopportune times... and sharp criticism by onlookers, (that would probably hurt my feelings because I have a sensitive streak too).

Not to mention the need to look good and wear the best clothing ALL the time.

Yes, I know that princesses have plenty of help and do very little personally to maintain their appearances. That part I would like sometimes, because I like to look good/dressy on occasion. But the majority of the time it doesn't seem worth the effort to look "flawless" when it isn't natural anyway. (Plus I'm pretty sure the white tank top/jeans look I have been sporting since high school is my staple now... can't mess with tradition).

I like to dress up for date nights, holidays, weddings... whatever. But not a tuesday when I run to the grocery store. Psh... get real.

So yeah, looking perfect ALL the time?? Too much... not fun.

Over-priced hats + pressure to make a good appearance = misery. 
I think it all boils down my issues with feeling any sort of pressure to meet others' expectations. Frankly, I think that concept is annoying.

I like to be myself; good at certain things and bad at plenty of things... but I like to be that way because it's me. Not because I'm expected to be a certain way, not because I care what others think so much that it dictates my actions... no.

If I'm great or look good or have the best heart in the world, or fall flat on my face... let it be because that's who I am (or am not)... not because I'm filling a role, or living up to what others think I should do.

That goal seems stupid, and I wouldn't do well at trying to obtain it.

That's my rebellious spirit for ya. It doesn't show up all the time, but it is still there:)

In conclusion, thank you Lord for making me the way you did and then not asking me to be a princess. It looks exhausting, over-rated, and despite all that goes with it... pretty unfulfilling in the end. Props to Kate for taking all that on. I'm sure she is probably a cool girl, and I hope she lives a long happy life... but so so SO glad that's not me.

If prince Harry calls tell him I'm not interested. (ha... right).

Fortunately this is all very irrelevant babble, because I skipped right over the princess dream and went for the living on an island with a handsome dark man dream (ha).

But in all seriousness, I never feel watched here (helps that I know very few people and all:), and I feel all the freedom in the world to just be me:). Kind of wonderful actually.

1 comment:

  1. Darn....I'll go put away Francesco...Oh, that's my white horse.

    Btw, Posh's hat is quite nice. Not so sure about Camilla's tho. She always wears hat's that are too big for her head. I think it's a Cornwall thing.

    Beatrice's hat is amazing. I don't even know how it works. It's just floating there on her forehead. Must be majic.

    ReplyDelete