Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Know I'm PMSing When I Loose My Tolerance For Tourists.

What? TMI???

Okay, okay chill out. This isn't about pms, or any other female health issue. It's more about why people are ridiculous in tourists towns, and sometimes I just CAN'T handle it any longer!

Just yesterday, for example,

- It took me 15 minutes to drive a very short distance because I was stuck behind a tour bus.

- I almost got killed by an umbrella pole that landed about an inch from my head... someone left it up while he/she went swimming and the wind blew it about ten feet... right to me. A police officer happened to be walking by and began to lecture me about it until he realized that I wasn't the idiot who owned the thing.

- I tried to quickly pick up a T Shirt for my little brother.  The walk to the store however was painfully slow as I was consistently restrained by the ever-so-slow moving people who couldn't seem to see anyone but themselves with their large flotation devices in tow.

- I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things (where you'd think I'd be safe right??), and the group in front of me in line proceeded to ask about pineapple wine for at least ten minutes. The cashier seemed amused (I probably would too if that was my job... not her fault), so she described the places it was made, how it was made, called the wine guy in the store to bring samples, and on and on and on.

Okay so listen, I know this makes me sound like a total jerk (and I probably am). Just because I get to live in paradise doesn't mean I can act like it's no big deal to other people. I get it, I do!! But where can we draw the line? I've only lived here for a few months and it already makes me nuts.

My conclusion:

I think every visitor should have to carry around a common sense reminder card with things like, "Be aware of others", "Watch where you are going", "Keep it moving", "Don't ask stupid questions", etc. Sort of like introduction to Kindergarden guidelines. And perhaps some professional hall monitor-like people should be hired to roam the roads and malls. Not like cops, that's a bit harsh. Just people with $10 and $15 dollar tickets to hand out perhaps.

.... K I'm done complaining about this. For now.

1 comment:

  1. "i've only lived here for a few months"?? In about 45 days it will be ONE YEAR!! Let's face it, you have just adapted so quickly to island life that you no longer have sympathy for us poor main landers....

    ReplyDelete