I wrote about the Tsunami scare a few weeks ago. Yeah yeah... it could have been bad, I lost a little sleep, learned my boyfriend really doesn't get phased by anything, and had a big sigh of relief when nothing of real danger happened that day.
Big whoop.
The very minimal fear is barely even memorable at this point.
Yesterday afternoon however, is a whole other story...
I called my mom to tell her that I need her to be here to shop with me (me expressing that I miss her:). She answered the phone and following a quick hello said, "Do you know what happened to Jordan today? Have you talked to your father yet?"
Now allow me to explain something about my parents. Give them something that seems stupid/ unimportant/easily over-looked and they will have a big reaction to get my brothers' and my attention quickly.
"What do you mean these dishes look clean to you?!", "Did you seriously leave the lights on AGAIN?", "You better have a doctor look at that if it still hurts... call and make an appointment TODAY!", "Hurry up we are always late!!!", etc. Their voices have no problem rising to the occasion when they are trying to get a point across, (no way? a pastor can do that?? Crazy... I know).
Saying that... when the world seems to be collapsing, something is extremely wrong or concerning, and/or someone is in very real danger... my parents get calm... almost creepishly calm. You may be thinking, "oh yeah, my parents do that too!". Nope, not like mine... trust me.
I'm certain this demeanor is a product of God's grand design and environmental influence. Both parents work daily with people in distress. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.
So when I called yesterday and my mom asked me in an ever-so-somber voice if I had heard what happened to my younger brother and if had I spoken with my father yet... my heart sunk. I've always known I had the capacity to have too many thoughts an emotions (pretty much on a daily basis:), but holy crap I never realized I could experience so many in such a short time.
It was like all of a sudden everything around me got blurry and I felt incredibly nauseous. I even remember replaying the question in my head before I responded to her... not really sure what she was about to say, but absolutely certain it wasn't good.
Once I could respond and tell her no I hadn't, she informed me that Jordan (my younger brother), had been within a half mile of a MASSIVE tornado that caused a lot of damage to the Tuscaloosa, Alabama, his college town. She told me that he was safe, but that all the electricity was out, and he was out searching for a missing student with some friends. After hearing a few more details, she told me she had to run and hung up the phone.
*Big sigh of relief*.
Followed by many prayers thanking the Lord that Jordan is still alive and well.
Followed by a sinking in my stomach just thinking about how close he was to this disaster, how easily he could have been hurt or killed, and how incredibly incredibly INCREDIBLY devastated I would be if anything bad happened to him.
I know that "life happens". I know that life includes pain and loss and hurt. I get that. Due to my parent's respective jobs, I grew up around all sorts of sad stories and people going through horrific things. I have heard testimony after testimony of heart break and turmoil. I've heard stories within my own family that made me very sad. I have experienced (though on a smaller scale of course) a good deal of my own pain trying to figure this whole "life" thing out.
So don't tell me that I'm naive to pain in the world. I'm not. I know that life is hard, and I'm sure I'll continue to learn it more and more along the way.
But can I just say... there isn't much I want more than my younger brother to be alive and well. Very VERY few things would top that desire. I would prefer that above my own well-being, any personal achievement on this earth, all the money in the world, and just about anything.
He is my brother (k duh we got that...), one of my best friends, a good man, a leader, hilarious, calm by nature, gifted beyond what he knows, aware of more than he realizes, kind, generous, thoughtful, patient, and so, SO much fun to be around. He is amazing. He can be difficult and stubborn... but he is wonderful. I couldn't be more proud of him and there's nothing I think he can't do (other than maybe be overly chatty of course:).
Point being... I'm overwhelmed with thankfulness that my brother is okay. I give credit to the Lord entirely, and I cannot praise Him enough for Jordan's safety. I am also so thankful just to have him in my life... reminded of what a joy he is:)
My heart hurts for all those who are experiencing pain and loss due to the tornados. It was and continues to be a true tragedy, and while I feel so blessed that Jordan is okay, I am also very sad for those who are not.
If you are like me (a Jordan fan:), be sure to thank the Lord that he is okay today, and along with that send out prayers for all those who are hurting.
I pray that God will somehow use what is intended for evil for good, and that He will comfort all those in pain tonight.
... but for real, enough of the natural disasters already!!!




So glad Jordan's ok!
ReplyDelete