Okay this title kinda confirms that I'm a slacker.
Buuuut.... much of what I've been thinking through and such is similar to what I talked about early in the month... so in hopes to not scare all readers away, I didn't rewrite the same entry 12 times:)
But, I find that in an effort to seek the Lord I am both surprised and challenged daily. Which I suppose is what it's all about:) I'm intrigued by the things I am learning, and humbled by seeing lots of various things in my life that I hadn't seen before.
God is cool like that.
I'm reading a book that emphasizes the act of looking for things one enjoys/loves throughout the day and therein thanking God for whatever that is along the way. The author shows how by simply appreciating/recognizing the things that bring joy (in the midst of others that are hard or painful), that a person can have a thankful heart that's simply more aware of God and His goodness.
I like this.
A lot.
It makes sense too. In a society driven by success, comfort, and happiness... it's easy to always be looking at those things which may deter us from these "goals". While in-and-of-themselves these goals are not bad, I believe that they can and do often rob us of an accurate perspective.
We get caught up in what we are missing rather than seeing what we actually have.
If I'm being honest, I think part of this just selfishness at the core.
Discontentment due to being far from God is one thing. Discontentment because nothing is EVER enough is another thing.
So in recognizing my too often discontent spirit, I have started to see that it's not a matter of being far from God. It's not a matter of needing to talk with Him or read about Him or be at some religious event every second of the day.
No.
One can seek God by simply looking around to see what there is to be thankful for and recognizing it for what it is.... a gift from Him.
This requires slowing down and being in the moment; two things I am NOT even sort of good at doing.
But when I try for even a few minutes, I am quickly overwhelmed by just how much good there is and just how amazing God is... and just how much my heart and spirit truly do delight in Him.
All that to say, it's easy to get caught up in what's not here, what's wrong with the moment, or a million other distracting and/or disappointing details of life. They are certainly present in this VERY fallen world with us VERY fallen people. But that will kill a person's joy.
That kills my joy... when I choose to let it.
This concept is not about being blind to the evil/bad/shitty aspects of life. It's about being able to walk through life anyway because God is still good. I consider this a joy-sustainer, as it provides true perspective on a daily basis.
aka.... getting a grip.
... being able to see what's wrong and walk right through it because God is with me and He is everywhere. And when I forget to see that, well I tune out, I distract myself, and I simply try to cope. I live like a person without hope.
I am a person with lots of my own issues, lots of concerns, lots of stupid insecurities.
What I am not, is a person without hope. I have hope always and sometimes I just need to practice recognizing that so that I can live accordingly.
That's about it for now:)
No comments:
Post a Comment