Hadn't realized it would even bother me. Not that I don't miss them all, of course I do. But It's not like I've never left home. I attended collage 13 driving hours away for four years and all. (Yes, only four years... geez, don't assume I'm one of those...).
Anyway, lately, this week especially, I've just been missing them like crazy. I think the reality of where I live and what that may or may not look like for awhile, if not forever, is kicking my butt.
Up till now I've never gone longer than between 3-4 months without seeing my mom. In college there was thanksgiving, then Christmas, then Spring break (my mom would come visit during hers), then the summer. Then I moved home.
Fast forward a year or so and I move to Hawaii in August. Then Christmas, then Nate's wedding in June, and now we are to October.
Did you know Christmas is not in October??? Shit.
This means about three more months without my mom's hugs, and playing games with my dad, and watching movies with my brothers, and getting to know my new (and pregnant!) sister-in-law, and playing with my niece.
I'm all about the adventure of being here, I swear I am. But if you think that 7 months away from family doesn't make me seriously question my decisions, you'd be wrong.
The thing is, not everyone has a good family. Many MANY people have a hard time even enjoying their families. Many struggle to feel loved or express love to their families. Many people see spending time with family as an obligation to be completed as fast as possible.
I'm not one of these people.
Moving here is like a shot of perspective to what you have.
I have such a wonderful family and I'm extremely blessed to have them to miss in the first place.
But man... Christmas just can't come fast enough!
The thing is, I know I couldn't really leave this place right now. I actually have started to love it and feel like my life is here. But if Hawaii accidentally got picked up and dropped down like a few thousand miles closer to St. Louis (yes, I realize logistically this is insane), I'd be okay with that:)
![]() |
| Old School Christmas pic.... yes, Jordan's hair is amazing. |

I would be totally okay if Hawaii shifted a couple of thousand miles to the East :)
ReplyDelete